Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Beginning: A Fresh Start

I'm sitting in my parents' house. Again. I always find myself back here. When I started college, I didn't imagine that I'd find myself back here every several months, in-between jobs yet again. But such is the life of a young Theatre professional, I suppose -- short-term contracts in scattered places lead to brief periods of unemployment and the lack of need to have one's own living space. Four years and eight contracts since graduation, and I'm yet again whiling away my time, waiting for my next move.

This spring, I decided it was time for a change. My distaste for the jobs I felt I was qualified for led me to a conclusion: I have to go to graduate school to further my Theatre career. But am I ready for such a step? Can I afford to carry the loans that would inevitably arise, if I was unable to obtain a coveted graduate assistantship? What's more -- do I really want to rush into two or three years of schooling for a profession I'm getting downright burnt out on?

So I decided a change of pace was in order. Starting Oct. 5, I will be working on a Baking and Pastry diploma at the Art Institute of Ohio. Quite a different field, yes, but what I need is there -- the need to create things with my hands. In addition to my costuming work in Theatre, I'm also an avid knitter, sometimes crocheter, and an amateur -- well, really anything else craft-related, I've done a bit of it. That's what comes of growing up in a family of crafters and artisans.

My goal for this next year is to catalogue everything -- what I'm learning, what I'm creating, and in some cases, what I'm teaching. I'd like to not move back into my parents' house at the end of this year... we'll see how this goes!

Before I leave home at the end of this month, I have to create 2 jackets as a commission, organize a yard sale, make several aprons and other items for a potential Fall or Christmas craft show, and at least start on a baby sweater for a friend's upcoming arrival, in addition to packing. Lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment