Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ratatouille


Great movie, almost as good a dish. We made this the other day, using some vegetables from our garden and some my mom got from a local market. Here's her recipe for it.

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, chopped

1 medium onion, sliced or chopped

2 medium zucchini, chopped

3 cloves garlic, diced or crushed, or about 3 teaspoons garlic powder

7-8 ripe tomatoes, chopped

1/3 c. olive oil

About 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1-2 teaspoons fresh herbs. Mom suggests oregano, basil and thyme, but we didn't have thyme, so I also used Italian seasoning.

Seasoned salt and pepper to taste

Stir everything together and put in a 9X13 pan. Bake uncovered at 350F for about 1 hour. Open the oven every 15 minutes or so and give it a good stir. This time, we cooked it on a large shallow pan (like a big jelly roll pan) so that more of it was exposed and got a little brown. We really should've cooked it a little longer, too, but we were all pretty Starvin Marvin.



It was pretty good. I'm not generally a fan of things that are solely vegetables (yes, and I'm vegetarian), but it was tasty. And to make it more of a full meal, I also made deviled eggs and cheesy garlic bread. Delicious! Though I burned the first batch of garlic bread because I got distracted. First rule of the kitchen should be STAY ON TASK.

No comments:

Post a Comment